The Republicans released their platform, calling it their "pledge to America." Here are some of the highlights according to CBS News:
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran
You can read the full text here. Also check out the Weekly Standard for more info.
Sounds good, if it is acutally carried out. I especially like the idea of providing a constitutional citiation on every bill. But does this pledge go far enough? Anything you think is misisng?